These first few weeks in January have been packed with news from around the world and the home front. Perhaps now, more than for many new years of the past, is a good time for us to look inward. Are we are living life in the best possible way? Perhaps it’s time to examine if there are things we’d like to change?
If you’re a regular receiver of this email, you probably know that we teach that it is up to each of us to create a life that works, that feels right, and that makes us happy. But how in the world can we tell if we are living our life to the fullest? There are some questions we can ask ourselves that will pretty much tell us what we need to know.
- Am I doing what I love most of the time? All of us do some things we don’t much care for. However, if that’s all we do, we are in trouble.
- Do I feel comfortable most of the time? Sure, everyone gets nervous sometimes, but the vast majority of our days shouldn’t be filled with anxiety or fear.
- Am I willing and able to take risks?
- Do I feel free to make mistakes without causing harsh criticism or catastrophe?
- Do I cut myself enough slack to fail from time to time without beating myself up about it?
- Do I feel optimistic about the future, and confident that my plans will come to fruition?
- Do I feel that my life, as it is today, is one in which I can be my best self?
If you’ve answered “no” to any of these questions, it’s important to realize that you’re not doing yourself, or anyone else, a favor by tolerating these conditions. Maybe it’s time to do more than consider making some changes. And like the saying goes, there is no time like the present.